BASIC FACTS ABOUT EMF
- Human exposure to electrosmog, i.e. manmade electromagnetic fields (EMF), increased dramatically in the 1990s with the introduction of cell phones and other microwave applications..
- Clinical studies show that cumulative, excessive EMF leads to mitochondrial dysfunction, excess free radicals, cellular damage, DNA breaks, and disruption of protein production in the cells. (see Research1)
- Excessive free radicals have been linked to increased rates of anxiety, ADHD, Alzheimer’s, autism, cardiac arrhythmia, depression, and infertility (see below).
- Children and pregnant women are especially sensitive to EMF.
- Limiting, blocking, or filtering EMF with traditional methods is difficult to impossible in urban environments.
- 2,300 studies by the US Navy showing biological impacts of EMF: Naval Medical Research Institute 2300 Studies on EMF Health Effects
The above graphic shows the mechanism by which EMF can cause DNA damage without the heating (thermal) effect of cells. This mechanism was found in 17 different studies and is essentially a smoking-gun that shows EMF can cause serious damage at levels far below government safety standards.
CHILD SENSITIVITY TO EMF
Children’s brains absorb much higher amounts of microwave radiation than adults because of their thinner skulls. Their nervous systems are also easily damaged by EMF because they do not yet have the protection afforded by nerve cell myelination.
- 2012 BioInitiative Report –References 1,900 new studies showing biological impacts from non-thermal EMF
- 2014 Japanese study showing significant decrease in clinical symptoms of building residents once the cell tower was removed from the location.
- 2002 letter from EPA stating that FCC guidelines do not cover long-term, chronic, non-thermal microwave radiation exposures (that which we are exposed to every day by consumer wireless devices). It confirms that FCC guidelines only relate to damage from heating (thermal) effects: EPA Letter Stating FCC Guideliness are only based on Thermal Effects
- World Health Organization and IARC classifies microwave radiation as a “possible carcinogen” – May 31, 2011
- Sufficient evidence exists for microwave radiation to be labeled a definite carcinogen (presentation by Dr. Anthony Miller): http://smartgridawareness.org/2013/12/04/rf-fields-possibly-probably-or-definitely-carcinogenic/
- Internal FDA memo from 1993 states that data “strongly suggests” that microwave radiation promotes cancer
- Swisscom admits elevated risk of cancer and genetic damage from Wi-Fi
- Motorola has “war-gamed” the science since 1994
- Nokia has held patents since 1998 that would reduce the irradiation of cell phone users – but did not utilize the technology
- Ford Motor Company commissioned this study in 1965 which shows the numerous damaging biological effects of microwave radiation. It notes in particular how damaging microwave radiation is to the central nervous system.
- 1994 U.S. Air Force study confirming existence of non-thermal EMF effects, including alterations to the central nervous system and cardiovascular system: Air Force Study showing non-thermal effects
- Declassified 1976 Defense Intelligence Agency report showing that military personnel exposed to non-thermal microwave radiation experienced “headaches, fatigue, dizziness, irritability, sleeplessness, depression, anxiety, forgetfulness and lack of concentration.” Defense Intelligence Agency 1976 Report on Biological Effects of EMF
- Australian research agency collection of RF research from government agencies around the world
- Dr. Paul Dart gives smart meter presentation outlining how inadequate FCC rules regulating microwave radiation are
- Australian study showing health effects of wireless smart meters
- Survey of 210 respondents whose health was harmed by smart meters
- 52 Medical Doctors and Researchers respond to industry PR that “smart” meters are safe
- Red blood cells are affected by microwave radiation from wireless smart meters
- Report warning about Smart Meters by Santa Cruz Public Health Advisor, Poki Namkung, MD
- UK Department of Health concerned about cancer risks associated with wireless “smart” meters
- Graph with 67 studies that show health effects well below government limits and the corresponding effects of smart meters – See the following PDF, as well as the graphic:
- Ron Powell Smart Meter Report
The above graphic shows that 67 peer-reviewed, repeated studies show significant health issues (e.g. cancer, tumors, infertility) at levels far below the government safety standards (gray line). The yellow line is what the standards should be if public safety is considered.
This study from Austria shows that 24 hours of mobile phone radiation causes as much DNA damage as 1,600 chest x-rays. The results were so damaging to the wireless industry that the scientist, Dr. Franz Aldkofer, was attacked from many angles. The results still stand though.
Other Research and News on EMF Health Effects
§ TEDx Talk: Wireless Wake-Up Call
§ France adopts law to protect children from EMR radiation
§ $25 million Cellphone Radiation Study reignites Cancer Question
§ California Department Of Public Health Issues A Cellphone Radiation Warning
§ Italian Court finds link between Brain Tumor and Cell phone use
§ Male Infertility linked to cell phone usage
§ Environmental Health Trust Identifies Strong Cellphone –Cancer Link
§ Thyroid Cancer and Mobile Phone
§ Why You need to Stop carrying your mobile phone
§ Osteoporosis linked to mobile phone usage
§ Cell phones affect heart health
§ Cell phone usage causes DNA damage
§ Malignant brain tumors linked to Cell phone radiation (NCBI)
§ Thyroid Cancer linked to cell phone radiation (NCBI)
§ Cell phone radiation reduces bone density
§ Cell phone EMF Absorption and link to brain cancer
§ Cell phones and breast cancer
§ Multifocal breast cancer in women with prolonged exposure to cell phones
§ Sperm DNA damage from prolonged cell phone exposure (NCBI)
§ Samsung adopting “low-radiation” SAR as sales strategy
§ Why DNA is sensitive to EMR
§ Children and teens 10 times more EMR sensitive than adults
§ Average age of first time cell phone users in USA is six years
§ Prenatal exposure to EMR cause behavioral disorders in children (YALE study)
ORGANISATIONS WORKING FOR EMF SAFETY